Re: Serial and Index

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: Serial and Index
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:54:52PM +0000, Sam Adams wrote:

> I read at http://jamesthornton.com/postgres/FAQ/faq-english.html#4.15.1

That copy of the FAQ is over two years old according to the "Last
updated" text at the top of the page.  You can find the current FAQ
here:

http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/faqs/FAQ.html

> that when a serial is created then an index is created on the column.
> However I can't seem to find this anywhere in the PoistgreSQL manual. Is
> this true? Thanks.

Not since 7.3.  Here's an excerpt from the 7.3 Release Notes:

* No longer automatically create index for SERIAL column (Tom)

You can confirm this for yourself by trying it and observing what
happens.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/