Re: Data loss, vacuum, transaction wrap-around

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Data loss, vacuum, transaction wrap-around
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 18:04:42 -0500,

> Now, lets imagine PostgreSQL is being developed by a large company. QA
> announces it has found a bug that will cause all the users data to
> disappear if they don't run a maintenence program correctly. Vacuuming one
> or two tables is not enough, you have to vacuum all tables in all
> databases.

Except that Postgres isn't a large company and doing the work of
back patching and testing old versions will be done instead of
more important work.

> This bug would get marked as a critical error and a full scale effort
> would be made to contact previous users to upgrade or check their
> procedures.

I don't think all commercial companies would do that. I doubt that even
most of them would.