Re: Help me recovering data

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Help me recovering data
Дата
Re: Help me recovering data  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >Do you have a useful suggestion about how to fix it?  "Stop working" is
> >handwaving and merely basically saying, "one of you people should do
> >something about this" is not a solution to the problem, it's not even an
> >approach towards a solution to the problem.
> >

> I believe that the ability for PostgreSQL to stop accepting
> queries and to log to the file or STDERR why it stopped working
> and how to resolve it is appropriate.

Right, but since the how to resolve it currently involves executing a
query, simply stopping dead won't allow you to resolve it. Also, if we
stop at the exact wraparound point, can we run into problems actually
trying to do the vacuum if that's still the resolution technique?  If so,
how far in advance of wraparound must we stop to guarantee it will
succeed? It's not rocket science, but figuring such things out is part of
actually making a workable solution.