Re: database encoding "WIN" -- Western or Cyrillic?

От Preston Landers
Тема Re: database encoding "WIN" -- Western or Cyrillic?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Am Samstag, 12. Februar 2005 23:32 schrieb Preston Landers:
>> If the postgresql encoding "WIN" is intended to be Cyrillic 1251,
then
>> it should be labeled as such in the docs to avoid confusion.

>Well, isn't it?  You pointed to the place in the documentation
yourself.

Pardon me, but did you read the rest of my original email?

The "WIN" encoding is labeled "Windows CP1251".  It doesn't say
anything about Cyrillic or Russian, although WIN1256 is labeled
"Windows CP1256 (Arabic)".

Assuming that it is indeed supposed to be Cyrillic, that leaves the
question of how to create a Postgresql database using Windows CP 1252
a.k.a. "Western" or "ANSI".

I remain mystified why the "WIN" encoding would default to a fairly
obscure Cyrillic encoding considering most Russian users that I know
are using either KOI8 or Unicode.  It should at least be labeled
"Cyrllic" to avoid confusion.

I've seen a number of other websites that mistakenly referred to CP1251
 Cyrillic when they really mean CP1252 Western.  That's why I assumed
this mistake was made here, especially since the word "Cyrillic" isn't
mentioned on the PG doc page, and there is no indication of how to use
CP1252.