data duplication

От benjamin jacob
Тема data duplication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello there,
Currently, we r using,  Postgresql v 7.3, on RedHat 9
machines.

We provide a hot standby at all times for the Primary
server.

So, we have to maintain a duplicate of  the entire
database.
The problem arises, when the standby boots.

I wanted to know, whenever the standby boots up, what
all files shud it copy frm the Primary.
All files, under the data directory??
Viz., global, base, clog and xlog?

What are those pg_internal.init, pgstat.stat files?
What's the difference between global and base
directories?
If the async feature is used on the primary, shud we
copy on the xlog and clog files onto the backup as
well?

As of now, we shut down postmaster, on the Primary
whenever the standby boots up.
Duz this ensure, all data is written onto the disk b4
postmaster shut downs?

Also, any links for me to find more abt these files
used in pgsql?

These and more...

Regards

- Benjamin Jacob.