Re: a few doubts regarding postgres

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: a few doubts regarding postgres
Дата
Re: a few doubts regarding postgres  (Terry Lee Tucker <terry@esc1.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 11 Feb 2005 6:01 pm, Surabhi Ahuja wrote:
>  does postgres support notifications.
>
> for eg. through one connection to the server, i begin a transaction and i
> do inserts there. in another sessions, i want to get notified that inserts
> are taking place in someother session. please help.

Umm.. out of box, I don't think so. May be some triggers etc. can be placed
for information..Can you describe what you are trying to achieve?

> a few other questions
>
> Q1. is there anyway by which we can give priorities to the transactions?

You need priorities to connections or transactions?

Yes. See pgpool(http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgpool/)

> Q3. does postgres support multi threading? if yes how?

No. PostgreSQL backend process is single threaded. However each connection
gets a separate backend process. Hence on SMP machines, all available CPUs
can potentially be used for multiple connections.

Regards,
 Shridhar