Fwd: Unending recursive gmake during install?

От Stapleton, Mike
Тема Fwd: Unending recursive gmake during install?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi to whoever is getting these. I sent this out the other day to the admin,
general, and novice group since I wasn't getting any response and was just
curious if anyone in postgresql.org had read it. I'm not sure which group to
send it to cause it's such and odd problem. Also did several google searches
today to see if anyone had ever experienced it before. No luck there. I also
tried installing 7.3 and 8.0 and got the exact same results. If anyone could
find the time to read this and at least let me know your getting it I would
appreciate your time and response. Thanks.

Hi all,
        I've ran into a strange type of problem in which I am getting few
clues (at least that I can understand?) in which to guide me to my next move?
I have installed and used postgresql on my box at work and on the development
system at work (postgresql-7.4.6 w/ the pg80b1.308.jdbc3.jar) with no problem
and have become quite comfortable with it. Problem is I now need to install
it on a development box at work and am guiding myself through the exact same
process as my other two installations and after I run ./configure (and out
put looks OK), I run gmake and it goes into some recursive loop that never
ends. Ran it all night last night (cause it was late and I didn't know if I
was giving it enough time so started it and went home) and it was still
running when I came in. I am using th same installation file -
postgresql-7.4.6.tar that I used on the other two systems and the same jbdc
driver (which shouldn't matter at this point in the process) and of course
going through the same steps with the same instructions but it is not netting
the same results? I've only been using Postgresql a couple of months so I not
real sure how to interept the config.log file. what I have done is
ran ./configure and saved the config.log under configure.log. Then I ran
gmake and of couse the output to the screen never stop coming but aparantly
it does to the config.log file cause it is in the range of what I would
consider normal size. I saved the results of the config.log file under
gmake.log. Then I log in as super user and run gmake install which also never
stops running and save the config.log for it under install.log. I compared
the install.log to the config.log taht was left after I installed
successfully on my machine and there seems to be considerable output missing
from the install.log on the machine that fails. However, examing and
comparing these files show nothing that stands out as an "error" or
"exception" or "failure" other than just some lines missing in one log verses
the other.  I've attached the configure.log, gmake.log, and install.log from
the failed installation along with the final config.log which maps to the
install.log (last process ran) which was a successful installation. One
difference that should be pointed out is the hardware. The successful
installation is on an Intell Pentium 4 Dell standard computer, nothing fancy,
plain jane box. The unsuccessful install was on an HP Blade Generation 1
Server. However, they both are running Linux (different versions) which you
can get the specks from and differences by comparing the install.log with the
config.log. If anyone has ever ran into a problem like this or can interpret
the log files and point me in the right direction I would just be tickled
pink at this point. I'm kinda at a dead in. Have reinstalled four times with
slightly different user accounts (root, upriviledged user, etc) but using all
standard parameters (no config parameters) and nothing seems to make a
difference. Thanks in advance.

PS. Threw in config.status and configure.in files just in case they are
useful.

PSS. Guess not, denied delievery because email was to big, so if you need
 them respond to this email and I can send them to you one at a time
 (maybe?).

--
Michael P. Stapleton
Sr. Software Engineer

--
Michael P. Stapleton
Sr. Software Engineer

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Michael P. Stapleton
Sr. Software Engineer
Echostar Corp.
(307) 633-5448

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Сообщение: Re: Understanding EXPLAIN ANALYZE output
Сообщение: Re: Understanding EXPLAIN ANALYZE output