Re: More concurent transaction over single connection ?

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: More concurent transaction over single connection ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:22:44AM +0100, NTPT wrote:
> AFAIK (7.4.x) there is one limitation in persistant connections to
> postgresql from various frontends (
> http://cz.php.net/manual/en/features.persistent-connections.php ), because
> it can not use transactions in situation where more concurent tasks use a
> single connection (execuse my wrong english)

One backend handle one session. Nothing strane about that. That won't
change anytime soon either.

> I think it may add some benefit  to avoiding connection starting costs,
> especially in case where database and client are in greater network
> distance and/or need to use some expensive procedure to start connection
> and allow a relay simple and transparent  connection pooling,  may be a
> some type od "spare servers" like in Apache (MinSpareServers and Max
> SpareServers configuration directive )

I think you're looking for pgpool, it does connection pooling.
Multiplexing multiple connection over one doesn't help, because the
process at the other end will have to copy them out to several
different backends anything, so you don't save anything.

pgpool is a much better system...

Hope this helps,

Вложения