Re: Fast reference without an index?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Fast reference without an index?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 04:29:34PM -0500, pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
> > pgsql@mohawksoft.com writes:
> >> Is there a way, and if I'm being stupid please tell me, to use something
> >> like a row ID to reference a row in a PostgreSQL database? Allowing the
> >> database to find a specific row without using an index?
> >
> > ctid ... which changes on every update ...
>
> Well, how does an index do it?

The index _is_ updated on every update.  And on vacuum too, of course;
so you'd also need to hack VACUUM to make sure your reference is
updated.

Maybe you could store your data in a GiST index ...

"[PostgreSQL] is a great group; in my opinion it is THE best open source
development communities in existence anywhere."                (Lamar Owen)