Re: Confused by to_char

От Chris Green
Тема Re: Confused by to_char
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:28:26PM +0000, mike wrote:
> I am am trying to get a day string from a date using to_char ie:
>
> SELECT date1,ti1 ,to1,ti2,to2,adj,ei,eo,to_char('2005-02-07','Day') FROM
> vw_times_list1
>
> however I get
>
> function to_char("unknown", "unknown") is not unique
>
> (using to_date does not recognise the date format)
>
> anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong

Yes, in a way.

to_char needs two parameters, a pattern and a variable to format
according to the pattern.  You've given it a pattern it doesn't
recognise and a constant string which doesn't look like a date.

It needs to look something like:-

    to_char(date_time, 'RRRRMMDDHH24MISS')

This is an Oracle example so I'm not sure if the pattern is exactly
right but it'll look something like this.  Look at the documentation
for to_char() for the format of the pattern.  date_time is a date
column in your database.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."