Re: Update command too slow

От Venkatesh Babu
Тема Re: Update command too slow
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

Thanks for providing info... I tried disabling
autocommit, as suggested by Mr. Greg Stark, I tried
issuing the command "set autocommit to off", but got
the following error message:

ERROR:  SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF is no longer supported

Also, I can't implement the suggestions of Mr.
Christopher Browne, because I'm not working with
database directly. There is an abstract layer built
over the database. This abstract layer provides an
interface between application objects and data tables
corresponding to those objects. Our application is
developed over this abstract layer. Infact, we are
using "Collection" datatype provided by this layer.
Collection is similar to java vectors in that it can
store any kind of persistable objects, also it
implements the save method (which updates the tables
corresponding to each object present in the
collection), hence one update statement generated per
object present in the collection.

all i can do is to play with indexes for the tables or
change postgres settings. I hope the problem is clear
now... Also, the suggestions of Mr. Tom Lane on
transaction blocking and making use of prepared
statements and indexes on primary have been taken care
of.... i forgot to mention that even though i deleted
all indexes, i ensured that the index on primary key
is not deleted....

to give more background information, we've migrated
the database from db2 to postgres.... things were fine
in db2... is this migration having any effect on the
poor performance of updates (i mean to say is this
problem happening due to some improper migration???)

Thanks,
Venkatesh