Re: Storing latitude and longitude

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Storing latitude and longitude
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:31:45 -0600,
  "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@simpaticus.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> One of my tables will store latitude and longitude information. I've
> checked and I cannot see a datatype for that (which is no surprise, and
> no loss). However, I can think of three ways to store the data:

The earthdistance contrib module has a domain defined over the base type
cube (and contrib module) that can be used to store points on the surface
of a 3D sphere. The coordinates are stored in double precision, which should
be good enough for your requirements/

It shouldn't be too hard to have your application convert from DMS to
fractional degrees on input and output.