Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Martin Pitt wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Hi!
>
> Andrew Dunstan [2005-02-03 11:24 -0500]:
> > Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand why this is causing anyone a
> > headache. Why would one install the 8.0 libs without the 8.0 clients?
>
> That's not the point. The point is that this breakage makes it
> impossible to install _both_ 7.4 and 8.0 server/client at the same
> time.
>
> In addition, this breaks partial upgrades: if the package libpq3 (as
> it is called in Debian) is upgraded from 7.4.x to 8.0.x (which is
> perfectly valid and does not break any dependencies, since it is the
> same library with the same API), but the postgresql-client package
> isn't (because it is on hold, or whatever), then this breaks the old
> postgresql-client as well.
>
> I'm fine with immediately bumping the SONAME too, but as I said, it's
> important that this happens upstream, not in the distributions.

Are users going to be happy to have to recompile all their user apps
that use libpq because of a minor upgrade?  We have required it in the
past, 6.3.2:
A dump/restore is NOT required for those running 6.3 or 6.3.1. A makedistclean, make, and make install is all that is
required.This laststep should be performed while the postmaster is not running. You shouldre-link any custom
applicationsthat use PostgreSQL libraries.

but in this case their apps are running fine and it is just old pg
clients that need the fix.

Pennsylvania19073