Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0

От Martin Pitt
Тема Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

Andrew Dunstan [2005-02-03 11:24 -0500]:
> Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand why this is causing anyone a
> headache. Why would one install the 8.0 libs without the 8.0 clients?

That's not the point. The point is that this breakage makes it
impossible to install _both_ 7.4 and 8.0 server/client at the same
time.

In addition, this breaks partial upgrades: if the package libpq3 (as
it is called in Debian) is upgraded from 7.4.x to 8.0.x (which is
perfectly valid and does not break any dependencies, since it is the
same library with the same API), but the postgresql-client package
isn't (because it is on hold, or whatever), then this breaks the old
postgresql-client as well.

I'm fine with immediately bumping the SONAME too, but as I said, it's
important that this happens upstream, not in the distributions.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer            http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Сообщение: Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0
Сообщение: Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0