Re: Implementing Bitmap Indexes

От Victor Y. Yegorov
Тема Re: Implementing Bitmap Indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [29.01.2005 18:24]:
> "Victor Y. Yegorov" <viy@mits.lv> writes:
> > I remember, Tom Lane suggested on-disk bitmaps
>
> I have suggested no such thing, and in fact believe that the sort of
> index structure you are proposing would be of very little use.

Why? I thought they would be useful for data warehouse databases.

Maybe I said something "the wrong way", but what I'm trying to implement
is exactly what is said about in the first link you've posted below:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-10/msg00439.php

Or am I misunderstanding the point?

> What I've been hoping to look into is *in memory* bitmaps used as an
> interface between index scans and the subsequent heap lookups.

Sorry, that was what I've been speaking of.

Anyway, bitmap indexes API could be used for in-memory bitmaps you're speaking
of.

--

Victor Y. Yegorov