Re: [ADMIN] Oracle and Postgresql Play Nice Together on Same Computer?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Oracle and Postgresql Play Nice Together on Same Computer?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:03:42AM -0500, Troyston Campano wrote:
> Basically, we want to take 3 of the 10 applications running on Oracle, move
> them to Postgresql on the same computer/server and just make sure it runs
> about the same (really speed, memory usage, and space are the big issues).
> I'm not concerned with how hard the migration will be and things like that.

So you want Postgres to be a cheaper Oracle.  Hmm.  Maybe it will work,
but as Marco Colombo says, you are not going to see Postgres shining by
using that simplistic approach.  If you want that, maybe you should look
closely to see where you can find the rusty corner that needs to be
polished.

> The database is very low in complexity so the migration should be cake.

If you do things as simple as "select count(*) from table", then you
will have to be careful to be really fair in your comparison; you could
misleadingly find that Postgres is much slower on that query.

Tulio: oh, para qué servirá este boton, Juan Carlos?
Policarpo: No, aléjense, no toquen la consola!
Juan Carlos: Lo apretaré una y otra vez.