Re: rhdb to v8 upgrade procedure

От Keith Worthington
Тема Re: rhdb to v8 upgrade procedure
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Keith Worthington wrote:
>
> > Last week I upgraded from RedHat database (PostgreSQL v7.3.8)
> > to PostgreSQL v8rc5.  This involved what I thought was some
> > challenging changes because I had to remove the rpms, compile
> > and install the code and finally modify the RedHat start up
> > scripts.  I tried to keep fairly detailed notes of the
> > process.  It might be useful for someone moving from RedHat
> > rpms to a Postgres release.  Anyone interested?
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Keith
>
> Himm... Instead, you could take a full dump with pg_dumpall,
> backup /var/lib/pgsql (in case of emergency), remove previous
> RPMs, install RPMs for 8.0 and reload the data... This is a
> simple process...
>
> Regards,
> - --
> Devrim GUNDUZ

Devrim,

Thanks for your reponse.

I did use pg_dump to store and rebuild the database.  Fortunately I didn't
need any data so I skipped that part.  I left that part out of my earlier post
although it is in my notes.

At the time I did not have the luxury of using rpms because there were none
for RedHat Enterprise Linux v3.  This is one of the reasons I had to move from
what RedHat provided to an 'offical' release.  In addition the RedHat
installation locations were different from the PostgreSQL default ones.  I
could of course change the locations during compile but that negates using an
rpm anyway.

The reason for my original post was to offer the information to those that
like me need to move from rhdb (which is usually some number of releases
behind )to the offical release.

Kind Regards,
Keith

99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com