Re: Problems with infinity

От Oliver Siegmar
Тема Re: Problems with infinity
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Tuesday 18 January 2005 01:50, Kris Jurka wrote:
> The counter argument is that eventually the todo item will be done and
> that the supposed "cleanliness" is just an illusion because no other
> database is going to allow you store a timestamp of Long.MAX_VALUE so
> there is already an implicit assumption of using pg, why not make it
> explicit?

I did some research to find other databases / jdbc drivers that are able to
set infinity values for timestamps. Unfortunately I haven't found one. Oracle
seems to support infinity values but I couldn't find any driver
implementation details. Does someone here has kwnoledge about different jdbc
implementations and their infinity usage?

The current infinity implementation in pgjdbc is a hack, because you have to
set/get magic values that represents '-infinity' and 'infinity', but it is
imho the best way to do until there might be an NEGATIVE_INFINITY and
POSITIVE_INFINTIY for java.util.Date like the one for java.lang.Double.

Oliver