Re: Syntax error while altering col-type

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Syntax error while altering col-type
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:48:02AM +0100, KÖPFERL Robert wrote:

> I'm a little bit perplexed now... is it really the case that pre 8.0 systems
> aren't able to change col-types?

It really is.  In fact, the feature was (IIRC) somewhat
controversial, because there are all sorts of decisions that need to
be made about what to do with incompatible types.  What if you change
from int8 to int4?  What about varchar(4) to char(4)?  Just to name
two simple-minded examples.  See the -general and -hackers archives
for plenty of previous discussion of this stuff.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?    --attr. John Maynard Keynes

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: