Re: Best practice in postgres

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Best practice in postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:40:42PM -0600, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Nilesh Doshi wrote:
> > Also, I thought vacuuming will be easier if oracle schema becomes
> > database in postgres. For example in our case each schema is like
> > 80-90 gb, smaller compare to vacuuming on 400gb.
>
> I'm very new to PostgreSQL myself, so this is definitely not expert
> advice.  But the load imposed by vacuum is directly related to update
> activity.  So if your database is fairly static, you probably won't see
> much benefit to splitting out schemas into separate DBs.  Also, 8.0 has
> an auto-vacuum daemon that is supposed to lighten the load incurred by
> vacuum by checking frequently in the background.

FWIW, autovacuum has been around since 7.3. When it does a vacuum it's
no different than running the vacuum command by hand; what is different
is that it watches table activity and after a certain number of
insert/update/deletes it starts a vacuum (or analyze) automatically.
What is new in 8.0 is the ability to tell vacuum to sleep a period of
time between each tuple, so that you don't bog-down the server when
vacuum is running.