Re: [WIP] The shared dependency patch

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [WIP] The shared dependency patch
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:46:46PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> IIRC, Rod Taylor did some work on supporting locks for non-table objects
> back around the beginning of the year.  We rejected the patch for various
> reasons but you might be able to adopt some of it.

At the beggining of the past year, you mean?  I found this:

From: Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>
To: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches@postgresql.org>
Date: 15 Feb 2003 19:50:46 -0500
Subject: Object (Domain) locking

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-02/msg00093.php

In the archives, I see Bruce's message telling that it was applied, then
it was backed out for untold reasons, and nothing else happenned.

Does anyone remember why the patch was backed out?  A pointer to the
archives would be most helpful.

> Or you could do something like the pg_xactlock hack.  Basically you need
> a convention that identifies a LOCKTAG value as locking a particular
> user, such that it can't exactly equal any lock on a regular relation.

Hmm.  The problem is that I need to lock users, groups and tablespaces,
so a single value won't do.  I could create three special values
(pg_userlock, pg_grouplock, pg_tblspclock?), but at that point it
seems something more general is needed, like maybe Rod's patch.

"Cuando no hay humildad las personas se degradan" (A. Christie)