Re: MD5

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: MD5
Дата
Список pgsql-general
[Please don't post in HTML]

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:55:47AM +1100, Jamie Deppeler wrote:

> Well basically i want to store and hashed value that will never be
> changed just compaired too hashed values

In that case MD5 should suffice, although recently-discovered
weaknesses have led some people to prefer SHA-1 or RIPEMD-160,
which are available through contrib/pgcrypto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5

Your original question asked about encryption, so we gave answers
based on that requirement.

> also when i try to encrpyt a field i get this error
> encypt(text,"unknown","unknown")

Please show the SQL statement you executed and the complete, exact
error message.

Did you build and install pgcrypto?  It's likely not installed on
your system by default.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/