Null vs empty string

От Keith Worthington
Тема Null vs empty string
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi All,

I am loading data into a PostgreSQL v7.3.6 database running on RedHat
Enterprise Linux ES.  This is accomplished by a shell script running the COPY
command.  The data is in comma seperated value format.

I am experiencing two difficulties.

Firstly, when loading a missing (consecutive commas) numeric value (int4) an
error message is generated indicating that the string cannot be parsed.  I
would prefer that a NULL value be inserted.

Secondly, when loading a missing (consecutive commas) string (varchar) an
empty string is inserted.  Again, I would prefer that a NULL value be inserted
as later on a foreign key constraint complains bitterly about not being able
to match the empty string. :-(

Can you please explain how best to accomplish these results.

Kind Regards,
Keith

99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com