Re: Code documentation

От Gevik Babakhani
Тема Re: Code documentation
Список pgsql-hackers

Regards,
Gevik.

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Conway [mailto:neilc@samurai.com]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 2:19 AM
To: Gevik Babakhani
Cc: pgsql-hackers
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Code documentation

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 10:58 +0100, Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any interests or plans for documenting
> various functions in the code which currently are not documented.

I don't know of any systematic effort to do this. I try to document
undocumented code as necessary while making related changes, and I would
imagine other developers do the same.

> I would like to start this discussion to see if we want to do this.

It sounds like a good idea to me. Feel free to submit documentation patches
to the -patches list.

Another area where we could stand to do better is in higher-level
documentation of how the internals of the system work. For example,
something like the Postgres95 Implementation Guide:
   http://pluto.iis.nsk.su/postgres95/impl-guide/

but more complete, and up-to-date. There is some documentation in this vein
(such as the README files for specific subsystems), but IMHO we could do
with more.

-Neil