UNION with ORDER BY -allowed?

От Chris Green
Тема UNION with ORDER BY -allowed?
Дата
Re: UNION with ORDER BY -allowed?
Список pgsql-general
It's not quite clear (to me at least) whether I can have a UNION and
an ORDER BY in a SELECT statement.

What I want to do is:-

    SELECT
        col1, col2, col5, col6
    FROM
        table
    WHERE
        col2 = 'X'
    UNION
    SELECT
        col3, col4, col5, col6
    FROM
        table
    WHERE
        col4 = 'X'
    ORDER BY
        coalesce(col1, col3)

Is this valid syntax allowed by postgresql?  (I'm not at the system
where postgresql is installed at the moment so I can't just try it)

col1 and col3 are both DATE columns.  col2 and col4 are both
varchar(1).

I want the ORDER BY to order the result of the UNION.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence."