Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

От jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Тема Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"\"Marc G. Fournier From\"@svr1.postgresql.org"@linxnet.com: <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour) writes:
>
> >Here's another factoid for you.  When a new big-8 newsgroup is
> >approved, an "official" newsgroup creation control message is sent.
> >Well, somebody *forged* just such a control message for one-or-more
> >comp.databases.postgresql.* newsgroups.
>
> That was *not* done by myself, at any time ... several years back, I created
> the groups, opened news.postgresql.org to the public, and lt the groups go
> out through my feeds, but at *no point* did I send out a cmsg newgroup on
> the groups themselves ...

Didn't say you did, Marc.  Didn't mean to so much as imply it was you.
If that's the way it came across: Please accept my apologies.

Hadn't even occurred to me it might have been you.  Had they been
signed by you: Sure.  But, tho I don't know you, somehow I can't
imagine you forging approvals for bogus newsgroups.  If I were a
gambling man, my bet would be on somebody that wanted to see the bogus
newsgroups on whatever they had for news service.

I wonder if it worked?

Anyway, I was just pointing-out that one-or-more forged cmsg's were
sent, that the person to whom I replied might better understand just
how messed-up things were.

Jim