Re: Will B4->B5 require an Initdb?

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: Will B4->B5 require an Initdb?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:49:05AM -0500, Jerry LeVan wrote:

> I guess the subject says it all, can I install the
> B5 release to a B4 db without starting from scratch?

I think upgrading to beta5 requires an initdb.  You can find out
by comparing catalog versions between your current database and
beta5 -- if they're different then you'll need to back up your data,
run initdb, and restore the data.  Backing up your data in any case
would be prudent.

You can get the catalog version of your current database by running
pg_controldata.  Look for the line that says "Catalog version number";
for beta4 I think it's 200410111.  If you compiled from source then
you could also look in src/include/catalog/catversion.h.

You can get the catalog version for beta5 by looking in the
aforementioned header file, either in the downloaded source or via
the CVS web interface:

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/include/catalog/catversion.h

Notice that catversion.h was last modified on 5 Nov, which is later
than when beta4 was available (25 Oct).  The contents of catversion.h
show that CATALOG_VERSION_NO is 200411041, which is different than
the catalog version number for beta4.  Therefore, you'll need to
run initdb.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/