Re: help needed -- sequential scan problem

От sarlav kumar
Тема Re: help needed -- sequential scan problem
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Josh,

Can you tell me in what way it affects performance? And How do I decide what value to set for the random_page_cost? Does it depend on any  other factors?

Thanks,
Saranya

Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Sarlav,

> I am sorry, I am not aware of what random_page_cost is, as I am new to
> Postgres. What does it signify and how do I reduce random_page_cost?

It's a parameter in your postgresql.conf file. After you test it, you will
want to change it there and reload the server (pg_ctl reload).

However, you can test it on an individual connection:
SET random_page_cost=2.5
(the default is 4.0)

--
--Josh