Re: problem with sequence PostgreSQL 7.3.4

От Betsy Barker
Тема Re: problem with sequence PostgreSQL 7.3.4
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi Tom,
I actually select the nextval right before the insert, as you can see below, so I'm not sure how it could be a
programmingissue.

Also, the program fails at different places as it progresses, but it seems that it is always on the 3000th value of the
sequence.

            IF diffdolhospitals >= 5 THEN
                checkdollar    := true;
                    RAISE NOTICE ''Will insert differential dollar calculation '';
                SELECT nextval(''calc_id_seq'') INTO diffcalcid;
                INSERT INTO calculationdifferential VALUES (diffcalcid,calcid,_tempdifferentials.differentialid,
diffdolhospitals,diffdolrangebegin,diffdolrangeend,diffdolmode,diffdolfiftieth,diffdolmean,
diffdoltwentyfifth,diffdolfiftieth,diffdolseventyfifth,checkdollar);
            END IF;

            -- INSERT PERCENTAGE  DIFFERENTIAL CALCULATION
            IF diffpcthospitals >= 5 THEN
                checkdollar    := false;
                    RAISE NOTICE ''Will insert differential percentage calculation '';
                SELECT nextval(''calc_id_seq'') INTO diffcalcid;
                INSERT INTO calculationdifferential VALUES (diffcalcid,calcid,_tempdifferentials.differentialid,
diffpcthospitals,diffpctrangebegin,diffpctrangeend,diffpctmode,diffpctfiftieth,diffpctmean,
diffpcttwentyfifth,diffpctfiftieth,diffpctseventyfifth,checkdollar);
            END IF;

However, do you think it might have something to do with the fact that I run the program over and over again, after
thesefailures, and there is a transaction issue or something like that?

The reason I have the cache at 1000 is that I will easily use 1000 values in one run. Do you recommend I decrease that
value?Because I can.

Thanks,
Betsy

--