Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: Postresql RFD version 2.0 Help Wanted.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:

> There are a couple of things that would be ideal to fix.  One is that
> currently the gateway isn't rewriting message IDs, which means that if
> anyone else gates the same mailing lists into some other group, the
> posts will conflict and posts will randomly disappear.  This isn't a
> huge issue, but it would be nice to fix it, since this is a common
> problem.

We are doing that specifically for that reason ... In order to provide
redundancy, we currently have two mail<->news gateways of the mailing
lists in place, and the MessageIds are what prevents duplicates ...

> The other one is that right now the newsgroup and the mailing list get
> different traffic since posts are only gated to the mailing list if the
> person is already a member.  This can cause confusion (like only half of a
> thread being seen on the mailing list).  The ideal way to fix this is to
> make the newsgroup moderated (which also simplifies the whole process
> since then you don't need any news to mail gateway).  That way, things can
> be set up so that only the messages that make it to the list make it to
> the newsgroup.

ppl keep saying this, but that is not how the groups are setup ... if
someone isn't subscribed to the list, the message goes to the mailing list
moderator (me) to approve to the list ... the only thing that doesn't go
to the lists is spam ...

----