Re: OS X Install

От Joel
Тема Re: OS X Install
Дата
Список pgsql-general
(A little back-seat driving from me below:)

On Thu,  4 Nov 2004 10:11:18 -0500
Jim Crate <jcrate@deepskytech.com> favored us with

> I'm a little late to the party, but figured I could at least offer some info for
> the archives.
>
> If you don't know the user's password, and you have admin access, then it really
> doesn't matter. In fact, I set any special users (pgsql, mailman, etc.) up so
> that they *cannot* be logged into normally.  Instead, do this:
>
> sudo su - pgsql

This gives you a shell under the pgsql user, which can be convenient,
but anything you do after getting the shell is not logged. Logging is
convenient in a different way.

Also, if you tighten up the configuration a bit, su will refuse to log a
user with no default shell or home directory.

I prefer to sudo each command, for the logging:

    sudo -u pgsql <command>

If you don't like all that extra typing, command line editing is on by
default in the Mac OS X shell window, so you can just hit the up arrow,
erase the previous command, and type the next one.

> and then all you need to know is your own password.
>
> You can use niutil to create and delete users and groups.

And you can even use the netinfo GUI utility. (heh. I sudo each command,
but I use the GUI netinfo to save typing. I'm strange, I guess.)

--
Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>