Re: Question on locking

От Terry Lee Tucker
Тема Re: Question on locking
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I appreciate your reply. I, for one, am at the point where I have to make a
decision regarding how best to handle locking with the tool that I have, that
is, version 7.4. I raised this question several months ago, and the advice
was to provide a table that would contain feedback that could be given to the
user in a locking conflict. At present, I have a "tool kit" function that
aquires a share lock on a give row when the user enters into "Edit" mode. In
addition, a record is inserted into a table called lock which contains the
user id, the pid, the table name, the oid of the record, and a time stamp. A
unique index on the table name and the oid prevent simultaneous, duplicate
entries. Also, built into the tookit functions, is code that checks for an
existing table entry for the same table and row and reports back to the user,
that "billy bob" has the record locked. Should I use this approach in
conjunction with a much more narrow window in which the lock exists, as Tom's
post indicated?

I am interested any approach that will work best for the user, and ultimately,
for me.

On Friday 05 November 2004 05:50 am, M. Bastin saith:

--
 Work: 1-336-372-6812
 Cell: 1-336-363-4719