Re: vacuum analyze slows sql query

От patrick ~
Тема Re: vacuum analyze slows sql query
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Here is a fresh run with 'explain analyze' run before and after the
VACUUM statement:

-- begin
% dropdb pkk
DROP DATABASE
% createdb pkk
CREATE DATABASE
% psql pkk < pkk_db.sql
ERROR:  function pkk_offer_has_pending_purch(integer) does not exist
ERROR:  function pkk_offer_has_pending_purch2(integer) does not exist
ERROR:  table "pkk_billing" does not exist
ERROR:  table "pkk_purchase" does not exist
ERROR:  table "pkk_offer" does not exist
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "pkk_offer_pkey"
for table "pkk_offer"
CREATE TABLE
"pkk_purchase_pkey" for table "pkk_purchase"
CREATE TABLE
CREATE INDEX
CREATE INDEX
CREATE INDEX
CREATE TABLE
CREATE INDEX
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
% zcat pkk.20041028_00.sql.gz | psql pkk
SET
SET
SET
SET
% psql pkk
pkk=# select offer_id, pkk_offer_has_pending_purch( offer_id ) from pkk_offer ;
<ommitting output />
(618 rows)

Time: 877.348 ms
pkk=# explain analyze select offer_id, pkk_offer_has_pending_purch( offer_id )
from pkk_offer ;
                                                QUERY PLAN
 Seq Scan on pkk_offer  (cost=0.00..22.50 rows=1000 width=4) (actual
time=1.291..845.485 rows=618 loops=1)
 Total runtime: 849.475 ms
(2 rows)

Time: 866.613 ms
pkk=# vacuum analyze ;
VACUUM
Time: 99344.399 ms
pkk=# explain analyze select offer_id, pkk_offer_has_pending_purch( offer_id )
from pkk_offer ;
                                                   QUERY PLAN
 Seq Scan on pkk_offer  (cost=0.00..13.72 rows=618 width=4) (actual
time=3636.401..1047412.851 rows=618 loops=1)
 Total runtime: 1047415.525 ms
(2 rows)

Time: 1047489.477 ms
-- end

Tom,

The reason of the extra "case" part in the function is to ensure non-null
fields on the result.  I tried your version as well and i get similar
performance results:

-- begin
pkk=# create function toms_pending_purch( integer ) returns bool as 'select
p0.purchase_id is not null from  pkk_purchase p0 where  p0.offer_id = $1 and (
p0.pending = true or ( ( p0.expire_time > now() or p0.expire_time isnull ) and
p0.cancel_date isnull ) ) limit 1 ' language 'sql' ;
CREATE FUNCTION
Time: 2.496 ms
pkk=# select offer_id, toms_pending_purch( offer_id ) from pkk_offer ;
(618 rows)

Time: 1052339.506 ms
-- end

Right now, I'm studying the document section on PREPARE and will
attempt to play around with it.

I was asked (in a prior post) whether running the statement a second
time after the VACUUM improves in performance.  It does not.  After
the VACUUM the statement remains slow.

Thanks for your help,
--patrick