Re: Why is abstime type deprecated?

От Kilian Hagemann
Тема Re: Why is abstime type deprecated?
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

> Because it will certainly break by 2038, when 32-bit time_t overflows.
>
> In practice, Unix systems will have to move to 64-bit time_t before
> that, and we'll probably either remove abstime or make it an 8-byte type
> as soon as that practice is common.

Thanks for that. By that time my storage requirements will certainly have
changed, but I guess this transformation won't happen in a hurry... I'd like
to see abstime supported until at least 2020.

I have, and it doesn't have an entry on this. Don't know who maintains the
FAQ, but I think it would be worthwhile adding this issue to the FAQ.

--
Kilian Hagemann

Climate Systems Analysis Group
University of Cape Town