FW: can't handle large number of INSERT/UPDATEs

От Rod Dutton
Тема FW: can't handle large number of INSERT/UPDATEs
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
>>Eliminate that contention point, and you will have solved your problem.

I agree,  If your updates are slow then you will get a queue building up.

Make sure that:-
1) all your indexing is optimised.
2) you are doing regular vacuuming (bloated tables will cause a slow down
due to swapping).
3) your max_fsm_pages setting is large enough - it needs to be big enough to
hold all the transactions between vacuums (+ some spare for good measure).
4) do a full vacuum - do one to start and then do one after you have had 2&3
(above) in place for a while - if the full vacuum handles lots of dead
tuples then your max_fsm_pages setting is too low.
5) Also try reindexing or drop/recreate the indexes in question as...
"PostgreSQL is unable to reuse B-tree index pages in certain cases. The
problem is that if indexed rows are deleted, those index pages can only be
reused by rows with similar values. For example, if indexed rows are deleted
and newly inserted/updated rows have much higher values, the new rows can't
use the index space made available by the deleted rows. Instead, such new
rows must be placed on new index pages. In such cases, disk space used by
the index will grow indefinitely, even if VACUUM is run frequently. "

Are your updates directly executed or do you use stored procs?  We had a
recent problem with stored procs as they store a "one size fits all" query
plan when compiled - this can be less than optimum in some cases.

We have a similar sounding app to yours and if tackled correctly then all
the above will make a massive difference in performance.

Rod