Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:19:48AM -0700, Steve Atkins wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 11:54:44AM -0500, Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com wrote:
> > My basic question to the community is "is PostgreSQL approximately as fast
> > as Oracle?"
>
> > I'm currently running single processor UltraSPARC workstations, and intend
> > to use Intel Arch laptops and Linux.  The application is a big turnkey
> > workstation app.  I know the hardware switch alone will enhance
> > performance, and may do so to the point where even a slower database will
> > still be adequate.
>
> I have found that PostgreSQL seems to perform poorly on Solaris/SPARC
> (less so after recent improvements, but still...) compared to x86
> systems - more so than the delta between Oracle on the two platforms.
> Just a gut impression, but it might mean that comparing the two
> databases on SPARC may not be that useful comparison if you're
> planning to move to x86.

As a point of reference, an IBM hardware sales rep I worked with a few
years ago told me that he got a lot of sales from Oracle shops that were
running Sun and switched to RS/6000. Basically, for a given workload, it
would take 2x the number of Sun CPUs as RS/6000 CPUs. The difference in
Oracle licensing costs was usually enough to pay for the new hardware in
one year.