Re: Anything to be gained from a 'Postgres Filesystem'?

От Steinar H. Gunderson
Тема Re: Anything to be gained from a 'Postgres Filesystem'?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 12:44:10PM +0200, Leeuw van der, Tim wrote:
> Hacking PG internally to handle raw devices will meet with strong
> resistance from large portions of the development team. I don't expect
> (m)any core devs of PG will be excited about rewriting the entire I/O
> architecture of PG and duplicating large amounts of OS type of code inside
> the application, just to try to attain an unknown performance benefit.

Well, at least I see people claiming >30% difference between different file
systems, but no, I'm not shouting "bah, you'd better do this or I'll warez
Oracle" :-) I have no idea how much you can improve over the "best"
filesystems out there, but having two layers of journalling (both WAL _and_
FS journalling) on top of each other don't make all that much sense to me.
:-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/