Re: OS X Install

От Joel
Тема Re: OS X Install
Дата
Список pgsql-general
A few comments --

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:09:42 -0400
Nathan Mealey <nathan@cycle-smart.com> wrote

> I am trying to install PostgreSQL on OS X 10.3, using the package from
> Entropy.ch.  The installation instructions there, as well as anywhere
> else I have seen them on the net, say to create a user (using the
> System Preferences pane) with a shortname "postgres".  The problem is,
> this user already exists in my netinfo database/domain, and so I cannot
> either create a new user with the same short name, or use this user,
> because I do not know the password (I assume it is a system default
> user).  Thus, I am unable to complete the installation, because I
> cannot run the following commands as user postgres.
>
> /usr/local/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l postgres.log start
>
> Has anyone else encountered this before?  I'm so confused by this...why
> does this user already exist, and why can't I make use of it for this
> installation?  Should I create a different user?

    man sudo
    man sudoers

And then look up netinfo. I'm pretty sure netinfo is available in the
man, but you can use Google on Apple's site to get plenty of information.

There is no need to give either the postgres user or root a password,
much less a shell or a login directory, if you use sudo.

Deleting the postgres user/group and adding them again should not be
necessary (and will likely change the userid/groupid assigned, if you
don't watch, but I don't know whether that might end up an issue).

(And I have no idea why Apple would suggest using the system preferences
user pane to add the postgres user unless they are intentionally dumbing
it down. It works, but then you have OS login enabled for the "postgres"
user.)

My JPY 2.

--
Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>