Re: Which plattform do you recommend I run PostgreSQL for best performance?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Which plattform do you recommend I run PostgreSQL for best performance?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tim,

> In the MySQL manual it says that MySQL performs best with Linux 2.4 with
> ReiserFS on x86. Can anyone official, or in the know, give similar
> information regarding PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL runs on a lot more platforms than MySQL; it's not even reasonable
to compare some of them, like rtLinux, AIX or Cygwin.   The only reasonable
comparative testing that's been done seems to indicate that:
Linux 2.6 is more efficient than FreeBSD which is more efficient than Linux
2.4 all of which are significantly more efficient than Solaris, and
ReiserFS, XFS and JFS *seem* to outperform other Linux journalling FSes.

However, as others have said, configuration and hardware will probably make
more difference than your choice of OS except in extreme cases.   And all of
the above is being further tested, particularly the filesystems.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions