Re: Using gettext

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Using gettext
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Serguei A. Mokhov wrote:
> Maybe as far as storing the files in the project, is to keep both:
> the source .po and the compiled .class (should be produced by the
> actual translator, so the translator should have the tools, but the
> developers don't require them), just like pgAdmin project keeps both
> .po and compiled ..mo files in the CVS.

Considering that all users of the JDBC driver have the option of
downloading precompiled releases, minimizing the build dependencies is
really one of the more pointless exercises one could undertake.

> Maybe there are some others, but I ran out of time to look for 'em.
> It appears that many use ICU instead from IBM. I personally DO
> support the gettext idea.

There are a bunch of translation support frameworks available and under
development (including the unavoidable standards track XML solution),
but they don't have any free tool support (yet?), so they're useless
for us.  Gettext is the only immediately useful approach I've seen for
Java.
--
Peter Eisentraut