Re: would number of fields in a table affect search-query time?

От Steinar H. Gunderson
Тема Re: would number of fields in a table affect search-query time?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 04:27:51PM -0700, Miles Keaton wrote:
> would the number of fields in a table significantly affect the
> search-query time?

More fields = larger records = fewer records per page = if you read in
everything, you'll need more I/O.

> I have this database table of items with LOTS of properties per-item,
> that takes a LONG time to search.

It's a bit hard to say anything without seeing your actual tables and
queries; I'd guess you either have a lot of matches or you're doing a
sequential scan.

You might want to normalize your tables, but again, it's hard to say anything
without seeing your actual data.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Сообщение: Re: would number of fields in a table affect search-query time?
Сообщение: Re: would number of fields in a table affect search-query time?