Re: Performance suggestions for an update-mostly database?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Performance suggestions for an update-mostly database?
Дата
Re: Performance suggestions for an update-mostly database?  ("Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
Steve,

> I'm used to performance tuning on a select-heavy database, but this
> will have a very different impact on the system. Does anyone have any
> experience with an update heavy system, and have any performance hints
> or hardware suggestions?

Minimal/no indexes on the table(s).    Raise checkpoint_segments and consider
using commit_siblings/commit_delay if it's a multi-stream application.
Figure out ways to do inserts instead of updates where possible, and COPY
instead of insert, where possible.  Put your WAL on its own disk resource.

I'm a little curious as to what kind of app would be 95% writes.  A log?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions