Re: Display of text fields

От Ennio-Sr
Тема Re: Display of text fields
Дата
Список pgsql-general
* Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> [100904, 09:05]:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Ennio-Sr wrote:
>
> > * Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> [100904, 07:10]:
> > > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Ennio-Sr wrote:
> > > [ big cut ]
>
> Note however, that this may very well perform poorly compared to other
> solutions because as foo and foo_d get large, you're going to be
> evaluating the case clause alot. In addition, this gives an extra NULL
> row AFAICS (see below where you get a "blank" row and the rowcount is 1
> higher than the meaningful number of rows.

Stephan,
I just tested my query on the main tables (bibl_lt and bidbt) and it
seems to work reasonably quickly (my tables are not all that large:
around 10.000 rows only!). But, if it is possible to get a better
result, why not?
So, when you say '..compared to other solutions..' are you thinking
about 'COALESCE' (which I have not studied yet) or some other type
of instruction, other than psql's?
TIA,
    Ennio

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.     \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"   (diceva Henry Miller) ]     (°|°)