Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Linux Environment

От Eyinagho Newton
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Linux Environment
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

Dear Arthur,

Thanks so much for response and help on my cry for
help. I've tried the 'ps -a' you asked me to try and
the result it gave was as follows:

PID      TTY      TIME     CMD
------------------------------
1070    pts/1    00:00:00   su
1071    pts/1    00:00:00   bash
1076    pts/1    00:00:00   ps

In addition to that, i also tried to use the caps form
of the command, ie 'PS -A' and what i got was as
follows:

bash: PS: command not found

When i tried another form of the command, ie 'ps -A' ,
i got a series of numbers just like the first result
above. The numbers started from 1, 2, 3, etc up until
the last set 1070, 1071, and 1076. They were also
listed under PID, TTY, TIME,and CMD.

What does this indicate? Its interesting to note that
postgreSQL wasn't in any of the various words listed
under CMD. I only found words like init, keventd,
kapad, etc.

As to your question of whether this file
/etc/init.d/postgresql.checkproc exists, i found that
it doesn't. Whilst i could navigate to the directory
'etc' using cd /etc, i could not do same for init.d
although it was one of the files listed under 'etc'
when you do an 'ls' command.

Kindly help please.

Newton Eyinagho