Re: postgres uptime

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: postgres uptime
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Gavin Sherry wrote:
>>> However, I'm not sure why an uptime is all that useful?
>
>> Bragging rights? :)
>
> The folks who have a legitimate interest in that number can surely find
> it out from "ps".  What I'm having a hard time with here is the value of
> allowing the number to be found out remotely.  Most sites disabled
> remote "ps" decades ago, for good and sufficient reason.

There used to be a 'remote ps'?  That I didn't know ...

But, back to the question at hand ... if we're worried about 'regular
users' having access to it (which, I'm still a bit confused as to why, but
that's in my other email) ... why not make it a 'superuser only' function?
In fact, from that perspective, there would be use, since it would allow
the admin to check remotely for situations where the server is/has crashed
... something that could also be easily (I'd imagine) to admin software
like pgadmin, where if user has superuser access, a 'time since last
reboot' could be included as part of the status screen ...

----

Сообщение: Re: tablespace and sequences?
Сообщение: Re: tablespace and sequences?