Re: tablespace and sequences?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: tablespace and sequences?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
> > Just call that a kludge as it means that the admin is expected to create
> > as many dummy and unknown (if you have a custom dump file)
> > tablespaces
>
> There are any number of ways to find it out --- read the output of
> "pg_restore -s", or just try the restore and observe the errors.
> Besides which, we are talking here about the output of pg_dumpall,
> which is currently always text.
>
> > Then bad news, ISTM that altering the tablespace of an index, a sequence
> > or a schema is not implemented.
>
> Wrong, unnecessary, and trivial respectively.
>
> I see this request as being exactly on a par with requests to make
> pg_dumpall output restore into a different set of databases, or
> into a different set of schemas than what was dumped from.  Sure,
> it would be convenient sometimes.  But it's not *necessary* and it's
> not something to be starting in on when we're already well into beta.

I don't think it is the same because a dump can be restored on any
system.  This is a case where the operating system has to be set up for
the restore to work completely.

> Could we have less straw-man-bashing and more discussion of the minimum
> necessary solution for this problem?  It's long past time to be gilding
> the lily for 8.0.  You can give it a new paint job in 8.1, if you like.

You certainly can argue that it is too late to be doing this during
beta.  I always felt this was a feature we needed for 8.0 personally but
the urgency among the group is coming pretty late.

Pennsylvania19073