Re: Why is the number of dead tuples causing the performance of deferred triggers to degrading so rapidly (exponentionally)?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Why is the number of dead tuples causing the performance of deferred triggers to degrading so rapidly (exponentionally)?
Дата
Ответ на Why is the number of dead tuples causing the performance of deferred triggers to degrading so rapidly (exponentionally)?  (Frank van Vugt <ftm.van.vugt@foxi.nl>)
Список pgsql-performance
Frank,

> It seems in this case the time needed for a single deferred trigger somehow
> depends on the number of dead tuples in the table, because a vacuum of the
> table will 'reset' the query-times. However, even if I wanted to, vacuum is
> not allowed from within a function.
>
> What is happening here? And more importantly, what can I do to prevent
> this?

I'm not clear on all of the work you're doing in the trigger.  However, it
seems obvious that you're deleting and/or updating a large number of rows.
The escalating execution times would be consistent with that.

> NB. My real-world application 'collects' id's in need for deferred work,
> but this work is both costly and only needed once per base record. So I use
> an 'update' table whose content I join with the actual tables in order to
> do the work for _all_ the base records involved upon the first execution of
> the deferred trigger. At the end of the trigger, this 'update' table is
> emptied so any additional deferred triggers on the same table will hardly
> lose any time. Or at least, that was the intention....

I think you're doing a lot more than is wise to do in triggers.   Deferrable
triggers aren't really intended for running long procedures with the creation
of types and temporary tables (your post got a bit garbled, so pardon me if
I'm misreading it).   I'd suggest reconsidering your approach to this
application problem.

At the very least, increase max_fsm_relations to some high value, which may
help (or not).

-Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________