Re: LIKE '%%' does not return NULL

От Frank Finner
Тема Re: LIKE '%%' does not return NULL
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi,

you should additionally check with IS NULL:

SELECT * FROM mytable where myfield like '%%' OR myfield IS NULL

if you want to get fields containing NULL as well. A field containing "NULL" in
fact contains nothing, not even an empty string, so you cannot catch it with
"%".

BTW, this holds true especially for booleans: They can contain the values "true"
or "false" or no value at all, which means, they contain "NULL" and are in fact
undefined. You won´t catch them with something like "SELECT * FROM bla where
blubb <> false", you will only get the fields containing true, not the NULLs.

Regards, Frank.