Re: pgsql-server: Add: > > * Allow buffered WAL writes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pgsql-server: Add: > > * Allow buffered WAL writes
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >> Just to expand on the 'dubiousness' ... remember awhile back when I worked
> >> through the 'no-WAL' version of PostgreSQL to test loading a database with
> >> WAL disabled?  The performance improvements on loading a database weren't
> >> enough, I seem to recall, to warrant getting rid of WAL altogether ... so
> >> I can't see 'delayed WAL' being faster then 'no WAL' ...
> >
> > Uh, you mean fsync isn't a performance hit as it once was?
>
> No, I mean that writing WAL doesn't appear to be a performance hit ...
> removing WAL writing and doing a large db load, the load is a bit faster,
> but not as big as one would hope ...

OK.  My idea is to remove fsync (poorly named) and add a new parameter
called transaction_loss.  It would specify the number of seconds or
milliseconds before an abrupt server restart that you were willing to
lose transactions.  The default would be zero (no loss), and we can
support -1 for the same as fsync off.  Positive values would delay WAL
write/fsync for that many seconds/milliseconds.