Re: psql wishlist: value completion

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: psql wishlist: value completion
Дата
Re: psql wishlist: value completion  (Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 13 August 2004 12:18 pm, David Garamond wrote:
> Wouldn't it be cool if someday psql could do value completion?
>
>   # delete from person where lastname = 'Garam<tab>
>   # delete from person where lastname = 'Garamond' _
>
>   # delete from person where firstname = 'Da<tab><tab>
>   # delete from person where firstname = 'Da
>   Damian  Darren  Dave    David    Dawson
>
>   # delete from person where firstname = 'D<tab><tab>
>   Display all 215 possibilities? (y or n)

Sure it would be cool - but as far as I can tell totally impractical.

Determining all the possible expandable values for a particular column
could very well require a full-table-scan of a multi-million row
table each time you try to tab-expand. Not only would performance be
terrible but get a few users doing this and you could really hammer
the server.

Cheers,
Steve